Who We Are
The Rainy Day Blues Society is a Eugene-based nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and promoting blues music as part of our cultural heritage and tradition. Our mission is to raise public awareness and nurture a love and appreciation for one of America’s foundational music forms through education and by fostering an environment in which local blues artists can grow and flourish.
We are committed to:
- Organizing and coordinating public events and performances featuring blues music, including regularly scheduled showcases where artists can perform before a live audience and annual talent contests to qualify musicians (who do not have major recording label contracts) for the International Blues Talent Competition sponsored by The Blues Foundation.
- Maintaining a registry of local performing blues musicians.
- Collaborating with other concerned organizations, agencies, or individuals to provide educational or entertainment events that are within the scope of our stated mission.
- Offering a Blues in the Schools program.
- Providing financial and other assistance to organizations that help destitute blues musicians and low-income families of deceased blues musicians.
- Publishing a regular newsletter with information on regional blues activities, new blues music releases, features of historical and cultural significance, and Rainy Day Blues Society business.